Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Operation: Sleep Through Night

I've finally decided enough is enough. Is it necessary that Asher wakes up every evening - like clock work - at 12am to have a bottle? Have you seen the child? He isn't starving; however, a few nights ago he was not only starving but also dying, he's how it all panned out...

I made up my mind. Sunday night was going to be the night, the night that Asher would definitely not think to highly of his milk supplier, yep... night time feedings were going to be coming to a halt.

He awakes, starts to grumble and I turn on music from the baby monitor - maybe he just needs a little soothing to go back to sleep. Nope, the grumbling turns into a little louder "How can she not hear me - is this thing on?" cry.

Thinking I'm going to be 'oh so tricky' I put warm water in a bottle and prepare for the battle that lies ahead. I get Asher out of his crib, snuggle in with blankets and the rocking chair and hand him the bottle. He's content, odd. I was definitely thinking this was going to be a lot harder! Hold the boat mommy - oh, yep... he's realizing that what he's sucking on is not milk. Eyes wide open, staring at mommy thinking "Has she gone mad? This isn't the warm milk that I'm so fond of drinking!" ... and the screaming begins.

We have a full fledged baby tantrum. First we have stiff legs - than we have the crappie flop... he's pulling out every trick in the book but I'm determined or stupid. For the screaming tantrum went on for an hour and a half!

I'd rock him, he'd calm down - I'd put him in his crib and he'd remember why he was up in the first place and we'd start over again.

The good news: Last night Asher drank his bottle to the last drop, fell fast asleep and didn't wake up until this morning. Could it be that easy? I doubt it...

I'm not decided yet as to whether or not I"m doing the right thing. Everyone has a different opinion about this and I'd love to hear it. My point of view is this: he's eating extremely well during they day, drinks multiple ounces prior to going to bed, he isn't teething or sick AND he's almost 1 *insert tear here*... it's time for him and mommy to sleep through the night - right?

2 comments:

Erin said...

I think your doing great! And no despite what he thinks, he's not going to waste away from starvation.

meg said...

I'll second that! You are such a wonderful Momma!! It's all a learning process...for him and for you. No worries, you're doing an awesome job!

And HOORAY for SLEEP!!!