Tuesday, February 1, 2011

YMCA Basketball

For the month of January I was able to help out with youth (ages 5-7) basketball. The kiddos are super fun and excited about learning to play. Ok, for the most part all of them are super fun and excited.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Me: To child on first day of practice - "So and so, I'm so glad that you decided to play basketball, you are doing an awesome job with your dribbling!"

So and So Child: "Ya, the only reason I'm here is because my mom thinks I need to be more involved. I don't even like basketball."
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Envision: There are two teams of 10, which equals 20 kids (ages 5-7 :)), two coaches, only 10 playing at a time and ten sitting on the sidelines at a time. We are playing a 'game' which really means that we are running the kids back and forth up the court and reminding them to DRIBBLE!

Me: I'm attempting to put everyone back in their 'positions' after coming down the court from previously being on offense. I'm trying to explain to 5 kids (ages 5-7 :)) that they are no longer trying to shoot the ball but rather get the ball back - hence, they are on defense. I'm also trying to get the other teams players lined up to be on offense because the other coach is on the other end of the court explaining how to pass the ball in and get it down the court.

So and So Child: (This is a different 'so and so child' from the previous 'so and so child' in the last story) "Coach"

Me: "Yes, 'so and so' - no... you're on defense - oh, pay atttention when they're passing."

So and So Child: "The other kids won't let me hold the mascot (which is a stuffed animal that was suppose to bring team spirit but has rather become a pain in my butt.)

Me: "Hey, guys (yelling to side-line as I'm attempting to keep from getting hit in the head by a 'shot' ball) you need to take turns holding the stuffed animal - pleae let 'so and so' have a turn.

Minutes have passed...

So and So Child: "Coach"

Me: "Yes?" - "No, you can't run outta bounds with the ball, Remember you always have to dribble, Oh, we need to stand up so we can be ready for the ball."

So and So Child: Holding two fingers up his nose holes... "Someone over there is farting and it stinks real bad - I can hardly breathe."
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I love basketball but more than that I love that we, as insane adults, are trying to teach 5 YEAR OLDS how to play basketball when they are much more interested in sitting on the floor, throwing the mascot and farting in public. :)

1 comment:

meg said...

Once again.... two words... Reality Show! :)

You're so awesome to take on such an adventure!