Friday, December 11, 2009

It's a Team Thing

Stinks.
There is no other word for the icky bug that Damon and I got this week. Damon got sick on Wednesday and I followed on Thursday. With Baby Tuttle to worry about - we ended up in the ER again. I say 'again' because we were just there Thanksgiving weekend for a nasty cold I was dealing with. I'm pretty sure the Tuttle household is on first name basis with the ER staff!

First of all it was decided that I was dehydrated - imagine that since I couldn't even keep water in my system. They instantly put an I.V. in figuring that I could use the fluids. Then they decided that we should monitor the baby so we were sent to the OB. Upon monitoring baby and continuing the I.V. fluids ... we discovered that mama bear was having contractions - so thats what those pains were! :)

I was given meds to stop contractions and nausea but still wasn't well enought to go home - so they kept me over night. I feel for those who have to stay in the hospital over night... man that wasn't a pleasant experience! The nurses were nice; however, I ended up with the 'Oh, honey' nurse throughout the evening. You know the one that is super nice but may not be the best at medical 'technique'... During the middle of the night my I.V. had to be redone but because I was dehydrated finding veins wasn't as easy as it was for the ER nurse. Over 1 hour and 18 pokes later, this mama bear was ready to come home and be done! Finally my 'Oh, Honey' nurse got the I.V. in my elbow and then braced my arm with a board so I couldn't bend or move. Lovely. Not only does the I.V. machine make noises all night and the baby monitor catch every move - now I can't move my arm. I'm pretty sure I didn't sleep more than an hour at a time because of alarms sounding and the discomfort in my throbbing - poked hands.

Damon was a total trooper through the whole thing. Even though he too was not feeling top notch he refused to leave my side through out the whole event. He went home and packed an over night bag when they said I wasn't going to be able to go home and slept in the room with me on the roll in cot. I continue to say that 'I'm taking one for the Team' but last night I realize that 'We're taking one for the Team'. The one thing that really has become evident to me is how awesome it is to have a hubby that hasn't left my side through out everything. The last 9 months has been a real roller coaster and I realized last night that I haven't been the only one riding and I couldn't do this without Damon by my side.

So flu bug aside ... Damon and I were able to 'test run' the OB and get a feel for what staying over night is going to contain. We're both resting much better at home tonight knowing that Baby Tuttle is healthy.

2 comments:

The Hanson Hat Trick said...

I hope you both continued to get better over the weekend. Love you!

Casa de Morrow said...

I'm so happy that you made the test run to the ER!!!