Sunday, November 23, 2008

Season's End...

Another deer season has come to an end in Minnesota and this season was not without excitement! For those of you who know me - there is never a dull moment when I attempt to go hunting. This year was different from past because there was not exactly a place to stay due to my parents rebuilding their home from the fire. So, Damon pulled the 5th wheel to the house and we figured we'd just stay in there. Mom and I were in for a big surprise when we realized that the camper doesn't exactly come equipped to keep you warm in freezing weather. Sure we have a heater; however, the campers definition of 75 degrees and my definition of 75 degrees were two totally different temperatures! The first evening was freezing... this first picture is how I slept: turtle neck, hat, wool socks... we actually didn't have to put too many other clothes on when we got up to go out in the morning! :)
Nedward giving us our wake up calls...It was cold, windy and everything that could go wrong - did, but eventually we made it out to the field and got our first hunt in for the season.

Damon got lucky this year and shot himself an 8 point buck. I'm extremely proud of him! We are both not exactly the best shot - so for him to down a big one, on the first shot, is awesome! :)

Mama got lucky as well - with a 125 pound doe. You'll have to ask her about how she shot her doe in the butt and shocked it to death! I'm pretty sure I could shoot a deer 4 times in the front shoulder and we'd have to search for hours - but not ma! She shot it once - in the rear mind you - and the sucker dropped 5 feet from impact. I'm extremely jealous! :) My Uncle Charlie and Donny loaded the deer ... Charlie says, "Do you have your tag Kath - you should probably put it on if you're going to be transporting it"... Mama goes and gets her tag, realizing that she doesn't have a piece of twine to attach her registration ... a hair binder works in a pinch to any of you women out there who may show up at the field unprepared! :)We brought the doe to farm that night and Damon brought it home the following day in the car - this picture just cracks me up! You might be a redneck if... I myself did not get lucky and shoot a deer this year. I did have opportunities; however, I'm picky about the size, distance and any other variable that might be playing into the scenario - and I'm okay with that. As the years go on I am more convinced that deer hunting is not really about me shooting the deer but rather everything else that goes along with it. Deer hunting to me means getting close to nature: taking time to breathe, taking time to watch the sunrise & set over your field, watching squirrels & birds as they gather food and blow your cover with their noises. It also means spending time and making memories with those you love. I have so many great memories of me, mom and dad hunting together - they are not always the memories that make your heart melt, but none-the-less they still make me smile. And now the opportunity to share my love for hunting with my husband and his family. For the first time this year, I spent the weekend hunting our land at the farm and it was great fun. It's the hunting stories, the jokes and the memories made each year that keep me coming back. So maybe you find the whole act of hunting ruthless - freezing in your stand for hours on end, shooting at 4 legged creatures or maybe you just don't think you look good in orange but for me there are two weeks and three weekends in November that I will forever and always want to be a part of.

My boys after a long day of hunting up North...

2 comments:

Erin said...

I love your photos, the one of the deer in the trunk is priceless. Thanks for the good laughs!

The Hanson Hat Trick said...

I still cannot stop laughing... That poor deer in the trunk! I would have loved to been stopped at a stoplight in GR and see this sight roll past. YOU ARE HILARIOUS, DAMON!