Monday, October 13, 2008

A Day At The Farm...

I took some pictures this weekend at the farm. We were sorting, giving shots and yes, castrating the calves. Damon and I actually enjoy these days at the farm - they're kind of relaxing to us. (We're definitely two mental cases) Here are some pictures for those who might be curious...

This is Matt, Damon's uncle, he's the one who administers all the shots and does the castrating. As you can see... the calf comes through the shoot and we put try to walk it into the head gate - with hopes that he cannot move as much. My job is to get the castrating contraption and all the shots to Matt... it goes pretty quickly if the boys in the back can get the calves to cooperate in the shoot - which wasn't the case on Sunday... Here is Matt fondling a cow - poor guy!
(The cow and Matt!) Here are 'the boys in the back'... Damon was giving me and Matt a hard time in the beginning of the day because we weren't set up as quickly as he would have liked... Where as he and 'the boys' had the shoot filled and ready to go. As the day wore on... Matt and I were doing the waiting. If you look close - you'll see Damon is in the pen trying to convince the calves that going into the shoot is the right choice. :) Exactly how many people does it take to convince a calve to go into the shoot.... 1, 2, 4, 7! :)
One of the mama cows... they let you get real close because they're being separated from their calves for the first time...At the end of the day... Everyone is ready to go back and have supper!Uncle Tom... check out his socks & safety glasses! :)The convoy leaving the fieldNothing says "I love You"... like two people who are covered in
cow poo but will still stand close to each other! :) To be 100% honest - I fell in love with Damon on the farm and it truly is one of our favorite places to go. One of our first dates was for a snowmobile ride around the fields, taking pictures of the cows, eating Grandma's homemade stew and watching movies by the fire. For some, this is probably the LAST thing you would want to do on your Sunday but to Damon and I - it's a part of who we are and what we love. I could not ask for anyone better suited for my crazy way of thinking than my favorite farmer. :)
Plus, I can't resist a guy in work boots and carharts! :)

1 comment:

The Hanson Hat Trick said...

The last paragraph reminded me of my speech at your wedding. Yes, you two are well suited for each other and hanging out at the farm is truly a place of fun, gathering, love and family.
Anthony is going to love going out there with his auntie and uncle this weekend.