Wednesday, July 30, 2008

The Law Report...

Here's what the paper read two weeks ago...

A fire was reported on Karstens Road North of Deer River on Tuesday at 1:31am. Local fire departments were dispatched - no injuries were reported.

You just can never imagine anything like this happening to your family and when it does - you're in shock. I will never for the morning of July 15th. I wanted nothing more than to instantly be standing there with my mom and comforting her as she went through this horrible event. I wanted nothing more than to see both of my parents and know that they were okay -praying they were both out and alive.

I guess the whole event has put a new perspective on life and just how precious it truly is. Mom wasn't able to fall asleep that night so she was laying in bed reading a book when she smelt the smoke. She got up checked the hallway and didn't see anything - going back to bed thinking it was in her head - she smelt it again. Checking her fan and outlit not seeing anything she went back to the hallway and blue smoke filled the air. We figure that within 33mins. of my mom being up and going to bed is when the fire started in the basement and when she smelt enough smoke to investigate.

Over the past few weeks I cannot help but think of all the emotions that our family has gone through. We have cried and laughed within the same sentence but most importantly - we have been there for each other. This tragic situation has really brought us closer as a family and although much has been lost - much has been gained.
I have a new level of respect for the Fire Department; without them my parents wouldn't have anything. I also have a new level of respect for fire and the damage it can cause - my house will never be without fire alarms or batteries no matter how many times they go off when I cook.

1 comment:

The Hanson Hat Trick said...

It still is amazing and a bit surreal to see the photos from the basement and house...