Wednesday, March 4, 2009

I'm a wanna be...

Yep, I'm with Mara on this one - I'm a wanna be runner. For as long as I can remember I've always wanted to be a 'runner'; however, it hasn't really worked out too well for me. You know how it is... side aches, can't breathe, feeling like your legs are going to fall off, etc... It seems as though you hit a wall and then I don't want to be a runner anymore! :) Well, Damon and I purchased a treadmill in January and this week I have hit two really big milestones in my 'non-existent, running' life...

Yesterday, I ran 26 mins. STRAIGHT! Yep, no breaks - just kept on trucking!

Today, I ran 40 mins. STRAIGHT! Whoo-hoo! I ran a 5K - that's 3.1 miles! (Pretty pathetic that it took me 40 mins. to run only 3 miles but I am so excited!!)

The Bainblabber blog has been such an inspiration and Mara is right - it's a mind game! She said in one of her posts that if you can get pass the mental aspect - it's amazing what your body will keep on doing. Here's my secret... I put a towel over the screen and crank up the iPod! I listen to my body - when I get to the point of seriously needing a break... I'm amazed to find that I've ran much farther than I have in the past! I feel like if I'm not staring at a clock or putting a time frame on how long I can be doing my activity - I just enjoy my music and keep going. I guess my purpose of this blog... if I can do it, keep up with it - you can too! :)

3 comments:

The Hanson Hat Trick said...

Way to go! Now I will have TWO people to encourage and inspire me to do something.

Anonymous said...

Impressive!!! I admire anyone who is willing to run for the sake of running! I myself have never been one to do so... My philosophy is not to run UNLESS: a) being chased by wild, rabid animals b) to get to an injured child c) they're giving away a limited amount of free ice cream at Cold Stone (which, of course, never has and probably never will happen!) :) HA!!

Keep on beating away at that treadmill!!! I applaud your dedication and competitive spirit! :) BRAVO!

~cody said...

Woot woot! I actually started my "couch to 5k" thing today...it felt soooo good to be outside in the spring weather. You would kick my butt - way to go! Maybe I'll see you at the Wild Rice run :)